Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hey-ey Hockeytown!

Hooray for the 2008 Stanley Cup Champions - the Detroit Red Wings!

My hometown boys did a phenomenal job this season (just as long as I promised to not watch any of the games....it turns out I'm a jinx). They clinched their Stanley Cup win on Wednesday night in a match against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

But that's not the real story, here. At least, it's not the real funny story here.

You see, my Wings love to par-tay. More than once in the past couple days, I've seen them take the microphones away from local reporters interviewing them, just so they could drunkenly start slurring sweet nothings to a chuckling tv audience.

And that's all before they headed off to celebrate at Cheli's Chili in downtown Detroit - a local restaurant/bar owned by Red Wings defenseman Chris Chelios. Once at the restaurant, my wonderfully drunk hockey heroes ascended to the roof of the restaurant - and in the act of events still unexplained - they accidentally dropped the Stanley Cup off of the roof of the building. Way to go, guys!

Apparently the cup handler had to be called in for emergency repairs to a sizable dent in the side of the cup. Worry not, though; the cup has been repaired and is (almost) good as new.

I don't think I could be any prouder of those guys if I tried.

No comments: